Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Catching Up

It's been a while since I faced the blogger screen and typed my thoughts away, but now that I have my own connection, (woohoo!) I'm looking to do it more often, not as often as Doc Ness does, but once in a while, as opposed to never. Haha.

Residency is all I've had on my plate since starting almost 4 months ago, and it is pretty evident that it's about all that's happening in my life because all my latest blogs are about it. I have to admit, that there are times when it's really hard to get up in the morning and letting go of 5 precious minutes of sleepytime and get dressed for work. But it has not come to the point where I hate going to work, so forge on we shall.

Random thoughts:

1. We began residency 4 months ago with initially 4 doctors. Of the first 4, one quit. The next 4 came in last January, 2 quit (after 1 24 hr duty! arrghh). It's hard to lose a co-worker, sort of a brother/sister-in-arms if you will, who came in with the same purpose as you did, and cover for the same person's workload after he/she is gone. But now, we are at full strength again, and hopefully we make it through together.

2. Residency has become survival of the fleetest (fastest walkers get labs first, and do the appropriate intervention and finish their rounds first). When I slow down, literally, from my regular walking pace, my fellow residents whizz past me. Everybody walks fast. Well, it helps that I take big steps.

3. I did not know Dr Madamba personally, but I knew him as one of the institutions of pediatric practice in Dumaguete City, and even had 1 check-up with him when I was a kid when my pediatrician was out of town. For him to go in the manner that he did (he was shot, for those who did not know) is a tragedy and I hope the perpetrators get brought to justice. Not only does the city lose its only allergologist albeit in pediatric practice, it loses one good doctor.

4. I sit here with the Eraserheads reunion concert CD on the player (thanks hon), and they still sound good. Some good things never do last.

5. Slumdog Millionaire wins Best Picture! Truly, one of the best films of the year. If you haven't seen it, you should.

6. Congratulations to old friends and classmates who passed the boards -- Jeanette, Laurje, Jouie, Rainier, Ver, Chiong, Pura, Dinkoy, Siao, Nevi and all those who took the February 2009 boards. Welcome to the club. With your license comes great....you know the rest.

7. I'd like to apologize to Nevi, Cindy, Baby Boi, Carrie the other day. They passed by the ER and I was busy as heck with a full house and I wasn't able to chat. Uhm, my mood was less than pleasing during that time, but I think I managed a smile in between writing orders. Congrats guys.

I'm off to catch up on some sleep, err, work with today being a skeletal holiday.

Oh the simple joys...

Good night...

3 comments:

Eloisa said...

yep, you do sound very busy, bri. There's nothing like unlimited internet, huh? :-p good luck with the day-to-day things. :-p

Ligaya said...

Old friends...

Um.

MerryCherry said...

I can totally relate to this post! Hehe ;)