Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August Rush

RANT ALERT!(Don't say I didn't warn you)

Another month down.

At this point in any residency training, 2 months before I hopefully enter my third year in Internal Medicine, you come to the dog days -- days when you're dead tired, getting snide remarks about your work from people who do their best work from a distance, and you sometimes, do not feel the need to go on.

These are times when you feel that quitting is an option.

Believe me, these days come.

Often.

But I have come to realize that quitting isn't an option. It is a mirage. It looks like it's there but it really isn't. It's tempting, but it won't do you any good. Sometimes you get lucky and you find a casbah and a big pool of fresh water, but if only we can all be so lucky.

I wish an 80 hour work-week was in effect in our country but it isn't. We tally a total 100+ hours by my count (my brain isn't processing numbers at this time, so I could be wrong).

I've been working with people who say that I've been extra sensitive and touchy about how I work with my patients. And these are people who aren't even doctors and do not, in the first place, have any idea what is going through the mind of one.

So to them I say, BLESS YOU!

It's the only way I know how to work. I was raised by a mother who wakes up at 5 am to go to the market and sell meat, rush home, gets into her uniform to go to the bank and comes back at night to talk to us and help us with homework; a father who goes to the bank every morning and is dedicated to his organizations.

I take pride in my work and I will rant and rave in anger at any attempt to discredit it. You can break me down, tell me I'm ugly (I hope at least I'm average-looking), fat (I do need to lose weight), dumb (now wouldn't you want me as a doctor?) and other really bad adjectives you can think of, you don't get a free pass when you talk about my work.

I give you everything I have, everyday.

He who matters (pointing up) knows I do.

And His opinion is the one that matters.

The rush of August has come and gone.

4 comments:

Ligaya said...

You're the best doctor I know.

bricalz said...

You're obligated to say that because you're my friend. Hahaha.

Just second to you mama gaya. Haha, second to you.

You and tonette are tied at first.

Ligaya said...

No, I'm serious, sincere and totally honest. You are the best doctor. Just the second-best male aide, but the best doctor definitely.

Kinsa man na ang nangaway nimo bah? Ipakita na nako kay ako na'ng, um, I don't know, but I'll figure something out. Ka-bad ana nila uy.

;-)

ness said...

quitting is NOT an option, Bri.

one day, one day, in the future, you will say, all the pain and difficulties of residency have been worth it.

but then again there's fellowship... hehehe