Tuesday, May 24, 2011

23rd of May

I imagine I'm graying and old as I step out onto the veranda of my humble two-story home and marvel at the way the vines cling to the once-white trellis, adding a much needed green to the fading specks of white.

Every year on the 23rd of May, I sit here, look out onto the lawn and occasionally see my grandchildren running around with reckless abandon, laughing, playing tag, the wind blowing and picking up the freshly cut grass, and maybe go through the latest book I've bought, or like what I'm doing now --write.

It is during these pensive times that I think of the life that I have lived. My parents taught me early in life to live content with what I had and not really spend beyond what I could earn. Thankfully, the hard work of medicine paid off with a fari number of patients, and eventually, good friends.

I looked up from the glow of my laptop and the silent world of my thoughts to see the reason I couldn't really ask for anything more -- just to catch a glimpse of her smile everyday, hear her thoughts and exchange an intellectual conversation -- and I never let a day pass without telling her how much she means to me.

"Hey." she says "Writing again?"

"Yup." I reply, relishing the warmth of her touch as she cupped my head in her hands and kissed me.

"Okay, don't be too long, dinner will be served in a while." She said, in her half-ment, half-kidding tone.

"Yup, I'll be right down."

I sat back to right down my thoughts to the unknowing audience of Scrubbed Out. If I had more time and more money, what would I do with it? The question was posed on the week's Blog Rounds, and I couldn't help but smile as I remember Gaya asked the same question on the relaunching of TBR, back when they added Voice of the Filipino Doctor as a byline.

I typed in simply: I'm happy, and I could not ask for anything more.

I thought about it. I wasn't Trump-rich, but the money that I had were spent on
- the majestic grand piano now standing in my music room which I proudly say I've made
- 2 self-produced albums of piano instrumentals and a 12 track CD of original songs
- the decked entertainment room complete with the latest movies and classics and a TV with 4D capability, and your choice of video games, interactive of course.
- minority stock shares in the Detroit Pistons franchise
- a beachfront house with pristine deep blue waters off Zamboanguita, a few meters walk from our family beach home
- a small ultralight plane I can fly anytime

During the first few years of our marriage, I whisked my wife off to
- travel to the places where I've always dreamed of going -- swimming in the Maldives, rocking the samba in Rio, treasure hunting in the tombs of Egypt, marveling at the ancient heads of Easter Island, walk among the mysteries of Machu Picchu, chilling in Hawaii, and standing in awe of the beautiful Northern Lights of the Arctic circle.

Well, I did spread the wealth around
- The sports center in the middle of my hometown is a delight
- My educational fund together with a couple of friends from medical school has put 50 scholars through high school and college
- A small farm on a stretch of mountain land away from the city.

Well it took a lot -- A LOT of hard work, indeed.

The sumptuous smells wafted from the downstairs dining room, as well as the sounds of scurrying feet stopped my train of thought.

Well, this should be enough for the day. One can never keep the family waiting for food, I chuckled, and I could be facing a whole slew of stern faces if I was late for dinner.

I shut down my laptop and thought about time.

Opening the door, I saw my kids gather around at the foot of the stairs and waiting expectantly, "Coming. Coming."  They had come to celebrate -- a gathering of families, and moreover to give thanks for so many blessings throughout the years.

I reached the lowermost step and was greeted with mano po's and good evening's

"Lola, eat na ta!" squealed the eldest of my grandkids.

"Wait, your lolo's still coming pa." She sat them down and looked up at me, smiling.

I smiled back, beaming back and realizing a most important thing about what to do with more time --
that time stands still in her eyes, so I plan to spend all of my spare time looking into them.


1 comment:

hayzelmd said...

i was smilling the whole time i was reading this. :) ~heartwarming.