Sunday, December 16, 2012

This Season

It's been a while.

This December has been unlike any other in all the years I've been fortunate to celebrate the Yuletide season.

First, the apocalypse is reportedly near. The Mayan Calendar pegged it on December 21 of this year and that is 6 days from now. Nostradamus has this prediction involving a calm morning, a dancing horse, and a couple of circles that insanely sounds like the beginning of a bad joke but at the same insane time, eerily comes together.

Second, I'm somewhere where I get to do what I love again.

Third, and most important, is that I have this pair of beautiful, round deep brown eyes that look up from the most adorable pink crib. She brightens my day when she breaks into a smile or giggles, and she gets me to bolt up every time she cries. As a doctor and as a father, I kneel down and say a little prayer every night that our little one be safe and sound, and that faith tides me over.

Life doesn't really follow how we think we want it to be. It is written by His hand with beautiful cursive handwriting, not in block letters, mind you, but long drawn out cursive strokes that end up with the most amazing story that is only ours.

These past few months have been representative of that. I am partly afraid, because I've seen so much in the couple of years I've spent on this earth and partly thankful, for the many things He has given me, my family and mankind.

I don't know if December 20 will be the last day of humanity. I don't know if I'll ever build a good practice. I don't know a lot of things.

But I do know, I have people who care enough in this world to be friends, that the gift of family is a precious thing, that doing what you love matters, and that at the end of the day, it's about being thankful with what you have.

This Christmas, it's all been about that.

No comments: