Saturday, May 31, 2008

Time is a funny thing

In fairness mama gaya (who is in most likelihood, as well, to be one of the very few people who will read this post) I've already had 4 posts for May.

Anyway, I write this in the middle of probably one of the scarier times I'll ever face in my life, preparing for the medical board exams. I can hear the "Gee, didn't you get enough of it the first time?" I'm 6 years removed from the time I took and passed the PT Board Exams and still I remember it to be really really tense.

Time really is a funny thing.

I say that because, med school was for the lack of a better word, an experience.

We had the boob model incident and hanging people out to dry (which Gaya loves to bring up every now and then), our basketball team competition and championship collapse(meant that we compete with ourselves rather than with the other team), the progress notes fiasco, the palpable but nonexistent Velez vs non Velez personalities, and coming together to put up one of the more successful Students' Night in recent memory "bleached" but who can forget all the stuff that happened behind the scenes with the dance and choir practices, organizing committee bickerings and the divisive Bass Amp Debacle.

Then internship came along and brought out, for most, the worst in us. We were under pressure, papers, procrastination, plasticky interactions, people angry at you for reasons that escape you and more (I ran out of P Mnemonics). I had my own personal issues with people in my group, leadership issues, work issues, personality issues, respect issues, ugghh you name it. We had it.

It has been a full year since our internship and all that stuff in med school. Blame it my reviewing pathology right now, but like an infarct that forms in the cardiac tissue after a prolonged ischemic episode, so does time slowly patches up those experiences you'd rather not have had.

Patches up, but never the same. An infarct will not make up for the normal cardiac tissue. But definitely better than damaged.

As I look up from my BRS Patho Reviewer, I see the other guys talking and catching up, planning and imagining lives beyond the board exams, I join in sometimes, smiling, tension palpable, but washed away by laughter, then comes back again. I see some of my co-PGI's now and then, as rattled as I am because our classmates have already made headway into their reviews.

Things have changed in the one year apart. All for the better, I think.

I get up, close my book and I'll probably turn in for the night. Tonett brushes her hair and gets her back and we walk through the mez, giving nods to Domeng, Dodong, Tam, April, share a laugh or two with Lugie and Chatie, and wave goodbyes to Neil and Cla-Cla.

I think we're gonna be fine from here.

P.S. Keep us in your prayers.

2 comments:

ness said...

Brian,

I always read your blog! And God bless sa imong board exam. I know kaya mo yan. Pagtuon ug maayo, ha. Go, Bri.

mona said...

your schoolmates may have read a lot per reviewer but i think your learning experiences in silliman make the difference. it'll help you understand better what you're reading. trust me.