Monday, September 1, 2008

Ultraelectromagneticreunion!

I was in high school then.

When the noon breaks came, and again after classes ended, I remember Bagem or somebody else pick up a guitar and just strum an Eraserheads song and we'd all get worked up and sing along from the mellow "With A Smile" to the anthemic "Minsan."

I love music and I went through my 4 years of high school listening to Ely, Raimund, Buddy and Marcus. Those guys were OUR Beatles. I don't know if they set out to be the icons they eventually turned out to be, but their music spoke to almost the entire Philippines, especially the growing youth movement then. Which is why I've always seen them as UP's 3rd gift to us, along with dynamic minds and Ligaya Solera.

I had all the albums that mattered. Ultraelectromagneticpop! with "Pare Ko", "Toyang", "Ligaya", "Maling Akala", "Tindahan ni Aling Nena," was already a masterpiece. I wore out my tape as I played it over and over and over and then some.

Next came Circus with masterful and witty songs like "Sembreak", "Hey Jay", "Wishing Wells", "Magasin", "With A Smile", which I even brought along to the States so that I could play it over my cousins stereo while zipping through the freeways of California.

One of the biggest albums in Philippine music industry, Cutterpillow came next. It probably was the last Eheads album that mattered with the institution that is "Ang Huling El Bimbo", "Overdrive" and "Huwag Mo Nang Itanong".

So that is the reason why people were so hyped to hear that they were coming back together for a reunion concert. I, for one, was. When I think of them, I think how they usually have a song that I can hear as part of the soundtrack of my life. Yes, there were other bands that came along like RiverMaya (who only mattered when they had Bamboo as their front man), Yano (not so bad themselves) among others, but the Eraserheads were untouchable.

I couldn't go to Manila. I just looked at a couple of videos of "Alapaap", "Sembreak", and "Ligaya" and it was enough to wax nostalgic of all the Eheads songs. It was sad to know that their reunion concert was cut short because of Ely's health problems, which thankfully was stabilized.

How big were the Eraserheads in our lives? Well, our high school batch had "Minsan" as our unofficial graduation song. Tonett was not here during those years but still she knows them by their music.

This reunion will no doubt spark a search for Eraserheads stuff -- songs, torrents, album covers -- and I'll join them. I've long lost my tapes, but the songs, no way. Somehow their still playing "Wishing Wells" on that life soundtrack...

3 comments:

bricalz said...

WISHING WELLS

Chorus:
I wish I could go back to those fairy book tales
Forget the real world awhile
And seek the sees of the talking whales
A place of wishing wells and magic spells
Where everything starts out once upon a time
Long, long ago and ends happily ever after

1st stanza:
I could go up the hill and run with jill
The giant could smell I'm no english man
Cinderella dance with me at the ball
I told the queen of hearts about my plan
I traveled wonderland with alice
I met with snow white in the woods
I flew with peter pan in never, never land
Picked some berries with ms. red riding hood

Repeat chorus

2nd stanza:
I could be an outlaw in the west
Save the dancels in distress
We could sleep a hundred years
I could wake you up with a kiss
We'll swim the seven seas
We could make love more than twice
Fly like dragons in the skies

3rd stanza:
We could hang around on trees
Or buzz around like bees
We could make some honey
We don't need no money baby
Just turn your back
You'll see jumpin jelly beans sack
Just wait for me jack
I'll be back, I'll be back

the philippine daily idiot said...

check out the other albums. the eheads is beyond the "albums that mattered." :-)

bricalz said...

Haha, thanks dr meloinks.

Actually I know some, heard some. Even when they eventually became just the Eheads.

But still, these 3 albums were what mattered to me. Great lyrics, stunning musicality, unmatched wit and these were the albums that I grew up on.