Monday, August 18, 2008

Thoughts On My Way Home


I got out of my rented pad this morning to a relatively quiet holiday morning in Cebu. I had already made plans to go home and rest for a few days, awaiting judgment, and was going out to get some of my laundry done when all of a sudden, a series of successive honks scared the zonkers out of me. I thought I was done for. I quickly turned to see a taxi pulling up a few inches beside me and the driver asking me in taxi-driver sign language, if I wanted a ride.

What?! You nearly run me over (which I now realize was not going to happen, because I'd just be no use to him all crumpled at the side of Ramos Street) and you completely destroyed all semblance of a perfectly quiet and peaceful walk, and you ask me if I wanted to take a cab ride? Did I raise my hand or signal you in any way? What's it come to that taxi drivers hail passengers? Didn't it used to be the other way around?

I shook my head, and with the customary hand wave I said no, then another taxi comes and does the exact same thing.

On my way to the bus terminal, I was listening to the radio and it was all about the ongoing war in Mindanao between the rebels and the government (I'm pulling for peace), when this military official comes on and says they started launching offensives against the rebels early this morning, stationing the troops at some key points in Mindanao, and other strategies.

Uhm sir, I'm no military strategist but wouldn't those tidbits of information and military tactics be better off kept to yourselves? It's not like the rebels don't have radios. Then again, that could be the plan, say this over the radio and do another thing. Misinformation. Nice strategy guys. (Picture me nodding head in realization, in pure unadulterated sarcasm of course)

The bus was rolling along when one of those pasalubong vendors came up and tries to get passengers to buy his otaps and masa reals. He comes up to a couple and does his sales talk, "Ma'am otap, 3 for 100, ako ibutang plastic. Ako na ibutang plastic"

I silently thought to myself, what was that? Was that a threat? "Ako na ibutang plastic" Haha, I silently chuckled trying to say it myself. Or was it a reward, like now that you have bought these delicious biscuits, I'm gonna place them in plastic as a bonus!

On my way home, these random thoughts went through my mind. Maybe they are just facades to the anxiety I'm feeling. Maybe. But I do thank the heavens for taxi drivers who don't run me over and don't honk at me while I'm walking safely at the side of the street, the military forces who are risking their lives to achieve peace (I still think you can't talk peace and have a gun, maybe a bat would do), and those people who bring us otaps to bring home. They make a guy's trip home a bit more anxiety-free.

It was a nice day.

1 comment:

Ligaya said...

i'm back!!! hehe

i keep wanting to bite my nails.

my stomach's on roller-coaster mode all the time.

thank God nobody tried to run me over...hey wait!! maybe that was the Death Star in disguise!!! bwahahahaha! looking for directions to my house hu hu hu

i'm going nuts. this wait is nerve wracking