Friday, October 17, 2008

Headache? Bang your head against the wall...

I am dead tired.

I went through my first day of pre-residency -- pretty much just shadowing my senior residents at the ER and in the wards, getting the hang of doing rounds again, getting a feel for new consultants i don't recognize, and of course the sleepless nights.

And I'm really tired.

And maybe I could stay up long enough to cry and make this another post for Doc Ness' MUSH TBR edition.

I've been awake for almost 40 hrs now with only an hour or two of staggered naps.

I know this is still pre-residency so I sit there at the ER counter doing what I can to help, and shudder as I get a glimpse of what I will be doing for the next three years. And it's BUSY as HECK!!!!!

No interns to help you. Histories. Progress Notes. ER duties. Admissions. Ward IV insertions and other procedures. Updating consultants. Getting scolded by consultants. Learning. Studying. No sleep. Paperwork. Seniors. Rounds. Presentations. Research. Finding time for a bath or a decent meal.

Why do we medical creatures have to go through all the trouble?

If we want a headache to get better, we take away the pain, not add to it, right?

Well, maybe it is to make it all worth it.

As I type this, my eyelids are all droopy, a bit bloodshot, and tomorrow, I'll get up, hopefully on time, and do it all over again.

The workload is scary. The stress immeasurable. The demands near unbearable. But many have come before me and made it through, and so will I forge on with this life called residency training.

Though I've never really come to it in my life and never plan to, at least blogging will have made me a better resignation-letter writer. Hahahaha!

6 comments:

Ligaya said...

Toink!

You're doing it so I and the other GP's can have someone reliable to refer to.

ness said...

wahahahaha!
don't even think about it!!
i can tell you loads of epithets and vignettes and lecturettes on why back breaking residency is important but that'll take half the fun of discovering it yourself.

itaga mo sa bato. (hehe) dili ka magmahay. :-)

bricalz said...

First, to Gaya, I will probably count on 1 hand the cases that you will give to me that you can't handle. That's how good we think you are.

And to Doc Ness, haha, I truly, deeply, madly hope dili ko magmahay. Haha.

But I don't know, I think I'd draw the line at back-breaking. Haha

Ligaya said...

Hmmmm... Surgery would be more back-breaking though, in the literal sense.

MerryCherry said...

Hmmm, you sound like you love doing it anyway. Hehe :)

bricalz said...

Haha, yup it would be. And I think I've come to peace with myself and I've realized that I'm where I want to be. Haha

Yup, doc merrycherry, I guess if there was an easier way with the same learning, I'd do it.

But, like Gaya said once, it's masochism for a cause. Haha