Sunday, November 2, 2008

Growing Pains

They warned me.

That I was going to be tired by the end of the day and they were right.

Lost is mildly putting it.

I didn't know patients.

I didn't know what to do when referred a simple blood sugar result.

I didn't know when to call my seniors.

I didn't know lots of things.

I don't know much.

Its a blow to one's confidence that after you've gone through so much of studying in med school and realizing during your first day of residency that real medicine in wards and duties are so different from texts you get from Harrison's or Cecil's volumes of medical knowledge.

I am disappointed in myself.

But I'm determined to become a better doctor.

So forge on I shall...

And in a special quirk from other training programs, I'll be on duty at the ER this next duty.

Ugghhh.

3 comments:

ness said...

Heads up, Bri.
More to come.
Heheheh.

Ligaya said...

Lesser doctors than you have successfully finished residency. I'm sure you're not only gonna make it, but you're gonna blow them all away. (And I don't mean blowing something up rainier-style.)

bricalz said...

Doc Ness, uggghhh. I repeat, I'd draw the line at back-breaking.

Truly gaya? Haha, I don't think I'd be blowing anyone away with the way I'm going. I'm going to be eaten alive here. Haha.

I don't know any lesser doctors who have finished residency. Haha, greater doctors who haven't entered residency though, (i.e. you), I know.

Hope I make it out alive tomorrow. and the next and the next...