Monday, November 24, 2008

Pay, Check

I got my first taste of a monthly salary last 20th of November and though I've never been given that kind of money in one setting, it felt like it wasn't enough for all the stuff I've been through.

I realized, I can't hope to have a life and raise a family on this salary. Nor can I hope to help my parents, pay my rent, and other stuff we use money for.

I offered to buy my dad and sister dinner, but my dad said I'd better save it for me.

Haha, I laugh silently because my brother and my sister earn much more than I do and I've been in school the longest. The return of investment in medicine really is not much. I'd be lucky to even break even in giving back to my parents what they've spent on my education.

Such is the state of this young medical doctor today -- wishing I have a cushy (by my standards) job like Gaya's, earning more by moonlighting like Chofi and Benjo, or simply being able to bum around rich like the Mittals and Bill Gates of the world.

They say it's bad to keep and save your first salary.

I do not know if there is truth in that or it's something people make up to get a gullible co-worker to shell out for a round of beers and pizza, but I did get some stuff for it.

- Went out with Tonett for dinner
- Treated my Ward 2C station to pizzas because one of my DNR patients went home, albeit HAMA, alive.
- Bought a pair of sandals
- Bought some groceries (I, as much as possible, will not use my mom's extension credit card)
- Saving the rest for stuff like a house, a car, land and whatnot (Hahaha, well, I have to start somewhere)

I'll be going on duty again tomorrow. Gaaaaahhhhh.

Our chief, Dr. Roa, says we will be flying solo next month at the ER -- that would mean facing acute coronary syndromes, hypertensive emergencies, endocrinologic emergencies, COPD exacerbations, cardiac dysrrhythmias ALL ON OUR OWN.

Uggghh, I'm dreading next month's paycheck already.

3 comments:

Ligaya said...

yeah but, you know, you're moving forward. we're drifting. or i'm drifting and i don't know what chofi and benjo see themselves doing. chofi said sa una he's gonna moonlight first THEN start residency. benjo is, well, you know what he was planning on doing. :-)

i think u guys probably earn more than i do, actually. hehe yeah yeah pero layo ra kaayo ang effort that we put in ;-)

and i do have that, you know, bayranan that i told you about. hey...interested in becoming neighbors? ;-) it'll be FUN!!!

rheiboy17 said...

ahh, i remember the days. nung residente ako. duun sa ward 9 at 11 (ironic noh, 911! hehehe). sige, enjoy mo lang yang sweldo mo, at siempre palaging magpasalamat sa Kanya.

ness said...

Oh, forget the paycheck during residency, Bri. It's all about learning and training for now. You'll understand when you become a consultant. Train well and learn well for now. I know you're going to make one heck of a good internist. And probably make money beyond your imagination. Later.