Monday, May 11, 2009

ER Forays of A Newbie

Our training program here has one quirk not found in other hospitals in Cebu (or so I think) -- first year residents get to go on duty at the Emergency Room.

Yup, First Year.

The reason given to us was that it would double our exposure to ER duties, and we get to see more cases, and get experience on how to handle these patients first-hand.

I get the logic, but that doesn't make the anxiety of being alone at the desk fronting the Emergency Room doors any less stressful. It takes triple the testicular fortitude to survive and conquer the fear of what comes in through those two swinging doors. So scared am I on nights prior to ER duty that I fear and depression drives me to my knees in prayer that everything would go smoothly (but it rarely does) and that He will be with me every step, order, and IV insertion of the way.

One thing for sure though, ER duties certainly have given me so many moments:

WORST: There was one time when, the outpatient consults were endless into the wee hours of the morning and right up to endorsement time, and after I got received (the next shift comes in) I literally had to run from room to room, ward to ward, get all my X-rays and scans, ECG's to get ready for endorsement (grilling time), and needless to say, I got fried to a crisp.

BEST: Just recently, at my last ER duty, we had someone come in, in severe respiratory distress. He was brought to the hospital by two of his neighbors after they found him knocking on their door for help, all blue and air hungry. We didn't know what he had because of a really poor medical background given to us, all the neighbors knew was that he smoked and drank a lot, was admitted the year before and a handful of medications in his bag. It was a cross between respiratory and cardiac, which is which we didn't know. He flatlined for about 5 mins. We treated him as best we could and revived him to full consciousness. To see him writing his name on a piece of paper, considering he was probably walking towards whatever light at the end of the tunnel he was in, is joy immeasurable to me. Now he has a second chance to be able to make peace with a family he has left behind, and that is just gravy.

FUNNY: An order on a referred patient's chart: "May eat juicy fruit - not the gum."

SCARY: There was a time where I had no activity at the ER whatsoever for the whole afternoon of a weekend duty, the calm before the storm if you will. Then it got crazy as first an arrested patient came in, probably a massive heart attack, followed in seconds by an electrocuted patient in ventricular fibrillation (a really scary heart rhythm). Needless to say again, everybody got plenty of action and exercise that night.

DRAINING: You get to take on really demanding patients from expats who think they deserve top billing because they earn dollars for a living to aristocrats and the psychologically-off patients who think they are the only ones in the ER.

COOL: I once said that if I could not become a surgeon, I'd be the one at the foot of the bed manning a code, shouting lines like "We need an ABG stat," "Start Dopamine 400/250 at 10 cc/Hr," or "This ECG shows an ST Elevation in Leads II, III and AVF, Morphine 2 mg now, O2 at 2 Lpm, ISDN drip at 10 cc/Hr, and Aspirin now."

And now I'm getting to do that.

Maybe not as confident, not as fluid nor as collected as I make it to be, but I'm definitely working on getting there.

It's been so long since I last posted that I'll be going on another ER duty in the next couple of days, so, gulp, here we go again.

9 comments:

Ligaya said...

wow.................. :)

J.A. said...

I have said this before and I shall say it again... When I rotated at IM in Velez, I realized that I would not survive the work of an IM resident. Thus the dream of becoming a medical oncologist since 4th year high school flew out the door...
Kudos to you!
You'l survive, I'm sure...
Hehehe... I'm still trying to figure out which hospital you are doing residency in...now its narrowed down to... CHH, am I right?
If I am, regards to your chief resident who was my PBL groupmate in 1st year and helped me survive the nervous system unit!
:)

bricalz said...

Wow isn't exactly how I'd describe it mama gaya. (hanu ka wa nay text?) Hahaha.

Nope. Not CHH doc JA, haha, they don't have their 1st years do ER duties. Hmmm, you didn't think I'd be in CDUH? Hahaha, yup, I'm not.

J.A. said...

I know all the CDUH residents coz I am in CDUH. :)
Asa man kaha ka? VCMC of PSH?

Eloisa said...

wowie..that's impressive. the ER gave me the heebie-jeebies. ;-) lol.

wotwot said...

wow bri! that's why i chose to be in ob. it's mostly about life here, not death and disease heheheh

Ligaya said...

Oy noh cge ko txt nimu, imong phone ang arte, dawaton ang calls but ang text dili. :-P

AND...wow man jud...you're learning so much, and you will really get to save lives LITERALLY, and that's something. If any of my family were hanging to life by a thread, I would want someone like you calling out orders.

Naks. :)

J.A. said...

Last week I finally figured out that you're in PSH, thanks to your broken MRI machine and seeing your co-resident who happens to be the younger sister of my internship groupmate. ;P
Did she already tell you that I figured out where you are doing residency? :)
BTW, she has threatened to kill you if you dare think of quitting! ;)

bricalz said...

Haha, I ought to be dead now diay... C Christie gyud...