Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Lull of Lent

Cebu is surprisingly quiet for Lent -- that is compared to the regular hustle and bustle of the regular work week. I still remember celebrating the Holy Week in Dumaguete and recall the near empty streets, the processions, and the one of the few days of the year, or if not the only day, where we don't open up shop at the market to sell meat.

I came from duty on Maundy Thursday and we were on skeletal duty (to the nonmedical people, meaning only those on duty would be roaming the hospital). After endorsement, I was on my way home, and I the lesser-than-usual number of taxis and jeepneys driving around, the malls were closed and the quiet was a nice change from the honking and the revving of engines.

I spent most of the day sleeping, enjoying the peace and the sedative effects of the mid-afternoon breeze and went to say a few words of thanks at the church.

Good Friday was even more serene and beautiful and I took time to breathe in the freshest air I've ever inhaled since I've been in Cebu. I took the time to do some long overdue cleaning.

This was always the best thing about the Holy Week -- the peace, the quiet, the time for reflections, and in the same way I've always ended it, a prayer of thanks for Him who came and saved me.

And of course gave me a schedule where I could enjoy two skeletal duties in a row.

In connection, a couple of my posts that I remember having fun making or just simply made my day:

1. Who Wants To Be A Superhero?

2. Some Good Things

3. A Pedestal For Mellie

4. It's A Little Bit...

5. Piano By Starlight

6. The Years Gone By

7. Death Becomes You

8. In Sickness and In Health

9. Behind the Half-Rimmed Specs

2 comments:

Ligaya said...

But then non-medical people will have a difficulty understanding what "duty" is -- as oppposed to "pre" or "post" or "previous." For most people, they are on duty when they show up for work.

Two posts in a row! (Sort of.) The blogging world benefits so much from skeletal days.

Eloisa said...

lol..i second that, gaya.

the holy week really was a time to reflect...i didn't go out of the house on off days.